Current Owners: Harris Family
Area (ha): 683
Mt Adde,a freehold property consists of 683ha, and has been owned by the Harris family since 1950 when it was taken up by Mr Clem J Harris following the Dumgree rehabilitation ballot. In 1970 a farming company Mt Adde Ltd was formed comprising Clem, Nita and Ron Harris. In 1983 Mr Ronald S Harris and his wife Helen bought the shares from his parents. In 2003 their son Greg became the major shareholder, along with Ron & Helen.
The property consists of approx 324ha of flat and easy hill - the balance being hill country. It takes it name from the hill at the front of the farm (with trig on ) which was named by Dr Renwick (first owner of Dumgree) after his first wife Addelene. The original road (through the Taylor) passed the foot of this hill - to the Dumgree homestead.
In the year 2000, 209ha in the top of the Taylor was sold to Mr Alan Grant.
Mt Adde stretches from the Awatere River Terrace into the Taylor Pass, bounding Gavin Nicholl at the back. The height varies from about 122M at the homestead to 550M. The property is well watered with approx one quarter via the Birch Scheme, the remainder by the extensive use of dams and constant flowing streams at the rear of the farm.
Regenerating native bush covers over 100 ha.
A substantial amount of subdivision had been done in recent years, mainly using solar powered electric fencing. Shelter belts and firewood lots are being established. Since Greg has been home further development has been undertaken with irrigation, dam and vineyard being established.
Currently a Corriedale Stud of over 300 ewes plus a commercial Corriedale flock is run.
As well a Performance Recorded Angus Herd of which a number of breeding bulls are sold annually is run.
The woolshed and one house were built in 1949. The woolshed was extended in 1953 and again in 1979. The cottage (built in 1954) was doubled in 1977 and is now the homestead. New cattleyards were built by the Awatere Valley Road in 1980.
In 2008 the cottage at 395 Awatere Valley Road was added to Mount Adde.